- With various actions and strategies, in 2022 FEMSA prevented 68.7% of its operational waste from reaching sanitary landfills.
- Through FEMSA’s Proximity Division, Coca-Cola FEMSA, FEMSA Salud, FEMSA Foundation and Strategic Businesses, FEMSA promotes a culture of recycling and waste reduction.
Mexico City, Mexico. May 17, 2023. – To celebrate World Recycling Day, and as part of its commitment to caring for and preserving the environment, FEMSA presents some of its results and progress in terms of recycling and reusing materials.
World Recycling Day is commemorated every May 17 under the focus of the seven R’s: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Rethink, Restructure and Redistribute.
“At FEMSA and in our business units, we work every day to maximize the use of resources and to contribute to having a more sustainable world. Based on our goals, we have programs and activities that enable and promote a culture of recycling, care, and preservation of the environment,” said Víctor Treviño, Director of Energy and Sustainability at FEMSA.
In this sense, one of FEMSA’s corporate goals by 2030 is to prevent 100% of the waste from its operations from reaching sanitary landfills. In 2022 we will reach 68.7% of this goal, and 24.7% of the materials used in packaging and products were made with materials of recycled origin.
Some of the company’s and its business units’ actions and results in terms of waste and recycling are:
- Promoting a culture of recycling and the concept of circular economy. With the participation of +30,000 people from the community and OXXO customers, it was possible to collect and send +2 tons of PET for recycling through collection campaigns carried out in Oaxaca, Acapulco and Chilpancingo. In collaboration with different allies, we also continue to innovate in circular economy practices such as the installation of recycling machines in some of the OXXO stores.
- Reverse logistics. At YZA Pharmacies processes have been implemented to return cardboard and other materials from pharmacies to the Distribution Centers, collecting and channeling it for recovery and recycling. In 2022, more than 2.6 tons of materials were recycled.
- Zero Waste Certifications. 77% of Coca-Cola FEMSA’s bottlers have obtained Zero Waste certification, approaching its goal of 100% certified plants by 2025.
- PET Collection. Through various collective and individual actions, Coca-Cola FEMSA collected more than 80,000 tons of PET in 2022.
- Waste recycling. In 2022, YZA Pharmacies recycled more than a thousand tons of waste (cardboard, plastic, pallets and others) from its Distribution Centers. On the other hand, OXXO GAS recycled 2,450 kg of waste from 145 service stations during 2022. And in 2022, OXXO stores recycled more than 2,900 tons of cardboard and paper, 797 tons of plastic, 300 tons of glass, and more than 140 tons of aluminum.
- Materials of recycled origin. At PTM, FEMSA Strategic Business’ comprehensive plastic transformation solutions company, out of a total production of 50,413 tons in 2022, more than 38,117 tons were made from plastic of recycled origin. In total, 81.2% of PTM products—including plastic pallets and boxes—were made from recycled materials.
- Waste collection. In collaboration with Coca-Cola Foundation and The Coca-Cola Foundation, FEMSA Foundation inaugurated various Nit Nambii Points in the State of Oaxaca, specifically in Puerto Escondido and Bajos de Chila. These sites, located in public spaces in the communities, are collection points for recyclable waste. The materials that the community can bring and recycle at the collection points are: PET, HDPE and PP (polypropylene) bottles, aluminum cans, paper and cardboard.
Regarding the efforts made in other countries, the following stand out:
- FEMSA Salud contributed to the circular economy through the recovery of more than 164,800 cardboard boxes, more than 388,500 cooling gel units and 16,750 expanded polystyrene coolers generated in the process of distributing products from CEDIS to Pharmacies.
- Mexico, Colombia, Chile and Ecuador. FEMSA Salud recycled more than 85% of its waste in all its Distribution Centers in the 4 countries, equivalent to more than 3,700 tons of materials.
- OXXO launched the Clean Points initiative in seven stores in Santiago, collecting and recycling 25 tons of waste.
Coca-Cola FEMSA: A World Without Waste
Aligned with the global initiative of the Coca-Cola Company, a World Without Waste, Coca-Cola FEMSA committed to collecting 100% of the containers it puts on the market, incorporating an average of 50% recycled resin in PET packaging; as well as to market 25% of its beverages in returnable or reusable containers by 2030.
During 2022, the company has advanced in the progress of these goals, incorporating 27% recycled resin in the packaging of its beverages and collecting 80 thousand tons of PET through different initiatives and in coordination with civil society actors, companies, local institutions and governments. Also in 2022 31.5% of the bottles that the Company sold were returnable/reusable, thus exceeding the goal of the Coca-Cola System.
This has been possible thanks to the creation of the Universal Bottle of returnable glass and plastic that allows the packaging of different products within the beverage portfolio belonging to Coca-Cola System, using a unique returnable presentation, whose useful life exceeds that of other packages. The plastic bottle presentation can be reused up to 25 times, while the glass bottle can be used more than 35 times, promoting the culture of returnability as a safe, reliable, efficient and sustainable option. After completing this period of useful life, these returnable packages go through this recycling process.
Similarly, to contribute to the ‘A World Without Waste’ initiative, Coca-Cola FEMSA promotes alliances with communities, authorities, NGOs and industry allies to carry out awareness initiatives in post-consumer waste management, as well as collection and recycling programs, and inform consumers about the proper disposal and handling of waste generated by their products.
In line with this initiative, the company also achieved that 98.5% of its post-industrial solid waste was recycled and/or disposed of properly, thereby improving the waste ratio to 6.31 grams per liter of beverage.
With these actions in favor of the community, FEMSA endorses its commitment to positively transform the environments where it has a presence. The objective is to contribute to the foundations of a society with alternatives to act in favor of itself, within the framework of a circular economy model centered on people for sustainable development.
FEMSA is a leading company that creates economic and social value through companies and institutions and seeks to be the best employer and neighbor of the communities where it has a presence. It participates in retail trade through its Proximity Division, which includes OXXO, a chain of small-format stores, OXXO Gas, a chain of service stations, and Valora, our European retail unit that operates convenience and food service stores. In retail trade, FEMSA also participates through a Health Division, which includes pharmacies and related activities; and the Digital@FEMSA Division, which includes Spin by OXXO and OXXO Premia, as well as other loyalty initiatives and digital financial services. In the beverage industry, it participates by operating Coca-Cola FEMSA, the world’s largest bottler of Coca-Cola products by sales volume; and in the beer sector, as the second largest shareholder of Heineken, one of the world’s leading beer companies with a presence in more than 70 countries. FEMSA also participates in the logistics and distribution industry through FEMSA Strategic Business, which additionally provides refrigeration solutions at the point of sale and plastic solutions to its companies and external clients. Through its Business Units, it employs more than 350,000 employees in 18 countries. FEMSA is a member of the Dow Jones MILA Pacific Alliance Sustainability Index, the FTSE4Good Emerging Index and the S&P/BMV Total México ESG Index, among other indices that assess its sustainability performance.
About Coca-Cola FEMSA
Coca-Cola FEMSA, S.A.B. de C.V. is the largest franchise bottler in the world by sales volume. The company produces and distributes trademark beverages of The Coca-Cola Company, offering a wide portfolio of 134 brands to more than 270 million consumers daily. With over 83 thousand employees, the company markets and sells approximately 3.8 billion unit cases through 2 million points of sale a year. Operating 56 manufacturing plants and 249 distribution centers, Coca-Cola FEMSA is committed to generating economic, social, and environmental value for all of its stakeholders across the value chain. The company is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index, Dow Jones Sustainability MILA Pacific Alliance Index, FTSE4Good Emerging Index, and the Mexican IPC Index and the Social Responsibility and Sustainability Index of the Mexican Stock Exchange, among others. Its operations encompass franchise territories in Mexico, Brazil, Guatemala, Colombia, Argentina, and, nationwide, in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Uruguay and Venezuela through its investment in KOF Venezuela. For more information, please visit www.coca-colafemsa.com
About FEMSA Foundation
In FEMSA Foundation our goal is to create positive impact on people and communities through social investment projects for sustainability. We make a better future for all by working in three strategic areas: the promotion of efficient resource management for sustainable development, the promotion of the integral development of early childhood and the dissemination of Latin American art and culture. For more information, visit us at www.fundacionfemsa.org or follow us on Facebook (/ FundacionFEMSA) and Twitter (@FundacionFEMSA).
About FEMSA Strategic Businesses
FEMSA Strategic Businesses is a group of companies made up by Solistica, which offers logistics services, and AlPunto, which provides refrigeration solutions at point of sale, manufacturing of equipment services for the processing, preservation and weighing of food, and plastics solutions to FEMSA companies and external clients, through AlPunto Food Service (Imbera-Torrey), REPARE, Cooking Depot and PTM. It has more than 29,000 employees.