Mexico City, July 26, 2021, Coca-Cola FEMSA, S.A.B. de C.V. (BMV: KOF UBL, NYSE: KOF) (“Coca-Cola FEMSA”, “KOF” or the “Company”), the largest Coca-Cola franchise bottler in the world by sales volume, announces results for the second quarter and the first six months of 2021.
SECOND QUARTER OPERATIONAL AND FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS
- Consolidated volumes increased 9.1% as compared to the second quarter of 2020 and 1.3% as compared to the same period of 2019. This increase was driven by volume growth across all of our territories as a result of solid execution, coupled with economic reopening and increased mobility across our markets.
- Total revenues increased 10.9%, comparable revenues increased 19.2%. This increase was driven mainly by volume growth, coupled with pricing initiatives and favorable price-mix effects. These effects were partially offset by unfavorable currency translation. Total revenues remained flat as compared to the same period of 2019.
- Operating income increased 41.3%, while comparable operating income increased 44.1%. This increase was driven mainly by cost and expense efficiencies, coupled with favorable price-mix effects and raw material hedging initiatives. Additionally, we recognized a positive extraordinary effect of Ps. 1,083 million, driven by the resumption of the recognition of tax credits in Brazil related to the Manaus Free Trade Zone. These effects were partially offset by the normalization of certain operating expenses and unfavorable currency hedging positions. Operating income increased 14.4% as compared to the same period of 2019.
- Majority net income increased 56.8%, driven mainly by operating income growth, coupled with a decline in other nonoperating expenses related to impairments of Ps. 903 million recognized during the same period of the previous year.
- Earnings per share1 were Ps. 0.20 (Earnings per unit were Ps. 1.58 and per ADS were Ps. 15.79.).
John Santa Maria, Coca-Cola FEMSA’s CEO, commented: “We are proud that our efforts to accelerate the recovery are reflected in solid second-quarter results and a solid cash flow generation. Our consolidated revenues increased 10.9%, driven by our portfolio and execution initiatives, coupled with recovering mobility and improving price-mix trends. Notably, our Mexico and Central America division delivered double-digit top-line growth, while our South America division’s outstanding volume performance was driven mainly by a solid growth in Brazil, coupled with recovering trends in Colombia, Argentina, and Uruguay. As a result, our consolidated volumes already exceed our 2019 baseline by 1.3%. Importantly, as part of our resilient profile and disciplined approach, our favorable raw material hedging initiatives combined with cost and expense efficiencies, are enabling us to protect our profitability, while successfully navigating still volatile environments. As we enter the second half of the year, we are confident that we are taking the right strategic actions to continue building an unparalleled commercial beverage platform that is digitally integrated in order to carry on capturing opportunities to grow profitability. Moreover, we continue ensuring that our employees, clients and consumers remain at the center of every decision and action we take. By delivering on our objectives, we are confident that we will continue to deliver sustainable value for all of our stakeholders for many years to come.”
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Stock listing information: Mexican Stock Exchange, Ticker: KOFUBL | NYSE (ADS), Ticker: KOF | Ratio of KOFUBL to KOF = 10:1
Coca-Cola FEMSA files reports, including annual reports and other information with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, or the “SEC,” and the Mexican Stock Exchange (Bolsa Mexicana de Valores, or the “BMV”) pursuant to the rules and regulations of the SEC (that apply to foreign private issuers) and of the BMV. Filings we make electronically with the SEC and the BMV are available to the public on the Internet at the SEC’s website at www.sec.gov, the BMV’s website at www.bmv.com.mx, and our website at www.coca-colafemsa.com.
Coca-Cola FEMSA, S.A.B. de C.V. is the largest Coca-Cola franchise bottler in the world by sales volume. The Company produces and distributes trademark beverages of The Coca-Cola Company, offering a wide portfolio of 129 brands to a population of more than 265 million. With over 80 thousand employees, the Company markets and sells approximately 3.3 billion unit cases through close to 2 million points of sale a year. Operating 49 manufacturing plants and 268 distribution centers, Coca-Cola FEMSA is committed to generating economic, social, and environmental value for all of its stakeholders across the value chain. The Company is a member of the Dow Jones Sustainability Emerging Markets Index, Dow Jones Sustainability MILA Pacific Alliance Index, FTSE4Good Emerging Index, and the Mexican Stock Exchange’s IPC and Social Responsibility and Sustainability Indices, among others. Its operations encompass franchise territories in Mexico, Brazil, Guatemala, Colombia, and Argentina, and, nationwide, in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Uruguay, and Venezuela through its investment in KOF Venezuela. For further information, please visit www.coca-colafemsa.com.